African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Interpreter (French), CHLS
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001495
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) is instrumental in implementing the Bank’s development agenda and strategic focus.
- CHVP leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, business continuity, health and safety, and language services.
The Hiring Department:
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure and facilitate , as required by the Bank’s Agreement, written and verbal communication in the working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) on all issues submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank in furtherance of the its mission.
- In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff and with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- Under the general supervision of the Interpretation Division Manager, the Chief Interpreter (French) will provide high quality interpretation services (simultaneous and consecutive) at high-level meetings, events and functions of the Bank and contribute to the design and implementation of quality control mechanisms for Interpretation into French.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high-quality interpretation at meetings of the Bank, especially at statutory meetings (BOG, BOD, Bank Group Annual Meetings, ADF Replenishment, GCI) and other high-level events;
- Lead large teams of interpreters at high-level flagship events such as the Africa Economic Conference(AEC) and the Africa Investment Forum(AIF) ;
- Play a leading role in the selection of freelance interpreters in the French booth for admission into the roster of freelance interpreters in accordance with the Guidance Note on the recruitment of consultants for Language Services;
- Represent the department on the joint SNFI/CHLS committee charged with drafting and updating the Guidance Note on the recruitment of language service consultants ;
- Serve as focal point for monitoring the implementation of the Guidance Note;
- Serve as interface with PSEG which is in charge of conference infrastructure to ensure that the interpretation booths and related conference facilities are in line with industry standards and follow up on any issues and complaints relating to interpreters’ working environment;
- Participate in the recruitment of Principal and Senior Interpreters in the French booth;
- Lead and chair working groups tasked with reviewing various issues related to interpretation services, policies and guidelines, drawing on industry best practice;
- Serve on the examination panels of Interpretation Schools with particular focus on the performance of graduating students in the French booth;
- Represent the Division on various committees as determined by the Division Manager, especially in preparation of high-level events, and perform any other duties as may be required;
- Act for the Division Manager, as and when necessary. In that capacity, plan, organize and supervise the activities of the Division.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Conference Interpreting, or any other related discipline;
- At least seven (7) years of professional experience in a similar organization, with increasing levels of responsibility. Relevant and practical experience in an international organization will be an asset.
- Ability to work under pressure, with calm and serenity, setting priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Capacity to analyze and monitor interpreters’ working conditions and handle related complaints as well as propose adequate measures to ensure that they are fully addressed;
- Ability to contribute to strategic thinking with a view to improving interpretation and other business processes of the Language Services Department;
- Ability to design processes and criteria to be followed for the admission of freelance interpreters into CHLS’s roster of language service professionals.
- Ability to coach and mentor less experienced interpreters with a view to enhancing their performance
- Ability to manage complex interpretation requests and scenarios.
Application Closing Date
7th May, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online